First- and Second-Year Preparation
Both the B.A. and the B.G.S. aspirant should fulfill the College general education requirements. Students also should complete SPLH 120, SPLH 261, SPLH 320, SPLH 465, SPLH 466, SPLH 663, and elective courses in human physiology, psychology, and linguistics during their first 2 years. Faculty members can help students select appropriate course work.
Requirements for the B.A. or B.G.S. Major
Speech-Language-Hearing Prerequisite or Co-Requisite Requirements. Majors must complete this requirement, however, these hours do not contribute to the minimum number of hours required for the major.
- Mathematics. Satisfied by MATH 101 or 104 or upper-level placement
- Statistics. An introductory statistics course (PSYC 210, MATH 365) is recommended.
Speech-Language-Hearing Introductory Knowledge. Majors must complete a course in the following areas (recommended within first and second year):
- The Physics of Speech. Satisfied by SPLH 120
- Survey Communication Disorders. Satisfied by SPLH 261
- The Communicating Brain: The Ultimate Personal Computer. Satisfied by SPLH 320.
- Language Science. Satisfied by SPLH 466.
- Fundamentals of Clinical Phonetics. Satisfied by SPLH 465.
- Principles of Hearing Science. Satisfied by SPLH 663.
Speech-Language-Hearing Core Knowledge and Skills. Majors must complete a course in the following areas:
- Language Sample Analysis Laboratory. Satisfied by SPLH 565.
- Language Development. Satisfied by SPLH 566.
- Research Methods in Speech-Language-Hearing. Satisfied by SPLH 660
- Principles of Speech Science. Satisfied by SPLH 662
- Introduction to Audiological Assessment & Rehabilitation. Satisfied by SPLH 668
- Introduction to Speech- Language Pathology. Satisfied by SPLH 671
Major Hours & Major GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and grade-point average minimum standards:
Satisfied by 35 hours of major courses.
Major Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 15 hours of KU resident credit in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 28 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in junior/senior courses (300+) in the major. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.