Ph.D. Degree Requirements
The degree of Doctor of Philosophy is offered with emphasis on Spanish or Spanish-American literature.
Once admitted, the aspirant must
- Present a reading knowledge of 2 foreign languages, other than Spanish, appropriate to the specialization;
- Complete all course work prescribed by the advisory committee (this course work is to include a minimum of 5 seminars, at least 4 at KU, and a guideline of a minimum of 24 hours in Hispanic literatures at KU beyond the 30 hours required for the M.A. degree);
- Present a minor in a field other than Spanish or Spanish-American literature;
- Complete a minimum of 2 semesters of quarter-time teaching or 1 semester of half-time teaching in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese;
- Research Skills and Responsible Scholarship Requirement. The university requires that every doctoral student have training in responsible scholarship and research skills pertinent to the field of research and appropriate to the doctoral level. This requirement must be met before taking the comprehensive oral exam. Please contact your advisor or the director of Graduate Studies for specific requirements.
- Pass a comprehensive examination, partly written and partly oral; and
- Write and defend a dissertation.
Note: Contact your department or program for more information about research skills and responsible scholarship, and the current requirements for doctoral students. Current policies on Doctoral Research Skills and Responsible Scholarship are listed in the KU Policy Library.
See also the general requirements for the Doctor of Philosophy degree in Graduate Studies section of the online catalog and in the KU Policy Library.