M.A. Degree Requirements
The department offers the M.A. degree with a concentration in literature or language/literature/culture.
Literature Concentration Requirements
- A minimum of 30 hours of graduate credit in literature, including one seminar in Peninsular literature or in Spanish-American literature.
- A reading knowledge of another foreign language, as approved by the department.
- A general examination in the field of Hispanic literature, partly written and partly oral.
Language/Literature/Culture Concentration Requirements
- A minimum of 30 hours of graduate credit, as listed below.
- A general examination, partly written and partly oral, based on the appropriate department reading lists for this degree.
(a) Language and Culture (12 hours), including courses in phonetics and the structure of Spanish if they have not been taken at the undergraduate level.
(b) Literature (12 hours), including at least 3 credit hours of course work in each of the three major genres (fiction, theatre, poetry). One course in this category must be a seminar.
(c) One additional course in the department (3 hours) in any field. (PORT 611 counts in this category.)
(d) One graduate-level course (3 hours) in a second language (excluding PORT 611).