M.A. Degree Requirements
A Master of Arts degree is awarded in 3 tracks: Russian, East European, and Ukrainian.
Requirements for the Degree
- At least 1 course in a REES-area advanced foreign language.
- 3 courses for a total of 9 credit hours, in the department or subject group of the student's special interest; at least 2 of these courses must be area specific.
The 5 thematic areas are
• Literature and the Arts
• Political Science
• Philosophy and Religion
• Economics, Business, Geography
- 1 area course in each of the other 4 subject groupings, for a total of 12 hours.
- Successful completion of REES 898 and REES 899, an interdisciplinary M.A. seminar (6 credit hours), develops advanced research skills. REES 898, which is normally taken at the beginning of the degree program, emphasizes learning the tools and methods necessary to study this region of the world. In REES 899, students write an interdisciplinary research paper using materials in the student’s chosen target language. Before enrolling in REES 899, the student must have completed an advanced language course in the target language.
- Pass a comprehensive examination in addition to regular course examinations. Information about opportunities and requirements for graduate work with a Russian or East European concentration in any department at KU may be obtained from the department.
Requirements may be modified in special cases with the director’s approval, particularly for students with special needs such as Experienced Teacher Fellows, Foreign Area Officers, or candidates for degrees in the professional schools. All students are encouraged to study abroad.
Plan of Study
The plan of study is designed by the student in consultation with the advisor.