Most applicants hold B.A. degrees in the social sciences or humanities with grade-point averages of 3.0 or higher. Students with B.S. or professional degrees are also eligible to apply. Some students may consider completing the M.A. degree in conjunction with academic or professional study in another department or school.
Students should submit the following application materials:
- Application for admission, sent to the Graduate Application Processing Center of the University of Kansas.
- A nonrefundable application fee (payable to the University of Kansas; see Admission in the Graduate Studies section of the online catalog).
- 1 original transcript of all college-level work.
- Graduate Record Examination scores. International students should also submit Test of English as a Foreign Language scores.
- 3 letters of recommendation commenting on the student’s ability to succeed at graduate work. These letters should be accompanied by a signed waiver form, indicating whether the applicant has waived his or her rights to see the letter.
- A 2-page statement of the student’s educational and professional objectives.
Applications to begin the M.A. program should be submitted by January 1 for admission for the following fall semester. Applications may be accepted off-cycle; please consult with the graduate advisor.
Submit your graduate application online. Send all other requested application materials to the program:
The University of Kansas
Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies
1440 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 320
Lawrence, KS 66045-7545