Admission is based on the applicant’s undergraduate and/or graduate academic record, standardized test scores, and references from instructors. All applicants must have completed a bachelor’s degree and an M.P.A. or equivalent degree. Students without an M.P.A. or equivalent degree must complete KU core M.P.A. requirements as part of their doctoral studies.
A completed application must include
- Graduate Record Examination results — verbal, quantitative, and analytical;
- 2-page statement of goals and research interests including evidence of research aptitude/interest;
- 3 letters of recommendation preferably from faculty members who can comment on the applicant’s potential for doctoral study;
- Nonrefundable application fee (see Admission in the Graduate Studies section of the online catalog); and
- 1 official transcript from each college or university attended.
In addition, international students must submit Test of English as a Foreign Language scores from an examination administered no more than 2 years before the date of application. Immigration requirements and a financial statement are available from the Office of International Student and Scholar Services. All materials must be received before the application can be considered.
For fall admission and financial aid, the application file must be completed by January 25. Applicants who do not meet this deadline are unlikely to be considered for financial aid, even though applications may be considered throughout the year.
Submit your graduate application online. Send all other requested application materials to
The University of Kansas
School of Public Affairs and Administration
Attn: Doctoral Admissions
1445 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 4060
Lawrence, KS 66045-7594