Requirements for the Social and Behavioral Sciences Methodology Minor
Social and Behavioral Science Methodology Minor Course Requirements
Students selecting this minor must complete each of the following:
Prerequisite Knowledge for Minor. Satisfied by a course in elementary statistics with a B- or better grade (e.g., COMS 356; MATH 365, MATH 526; POLS 306; PSYC 210; PUAD 332; SOC 510). Any equivalent course may be approved with the consent of the program director, Todd D. Little, firstname.lastname@example.org. This prerequisite does not count towards the SBSM minor hours.
Minor Course Requirements
- Statistical Methods in Behavioral and Social Science Research I. Satisfied by PSYC 650 or equivalent.
- Guided Research. Satisfied by A minimum of 3 hours of PSYC 480 or PSYC 481.
- Specialized Methodology. Satisfied by a minimum of two courses from the following: PSYC 651, PSYC 687, PSYC 692, PSYC 693, PSYC 694, PSYC 695, PSYC 696, and PSYC 697. The specific courses to be taken should be determined based on a student's research needs and overall career objectives.
- Minor Electives. Satisfied by additional graduate-level courses or guided research experience as needed to bring total hours completed to the minimum of 18 hours required for the minor. Options include PSYC 480, PSYC 481, PSYC 483, PSYC 651, PSYC 687, PSYC 692, PSCY 694, PSYC 695, PSYC 696, and PSYC 697.
Social and Behavioral Methods Minor Hours & Minor GPA
While completing all required courses, minors must also meet each of the following hour and GPA minimum standards:
Satisfied by 18 hours of minor courses.
Minor Junior/Senior (300+) Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 9 hours of KU resident credit in the minor.
Minor Junior/Senior (300+) Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 18 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the minor.
Minor Junior/Senior Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in all departmental courses (300+) in the minor. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.
- PSYC 650 Statistical Methods in Behavioral and Social Science Research I (4)
- PSYC 480 Independent Study (4)
or equivalent independent study with a research active faculty member or as an intern in the Center for Research Methods and Data Analysis
- PSYC 481 Research Practicum (3)
or equivalent research intensive experience with a research active faculty member or as an intern in the Center for Research Methods and Data Analysis
- PSYC 696 Structural Equation Modeling I (4)
- PSYC 697 Longitudinal Data Analysis (3)