Requirements for the B.S. Degree
B.S. in Behavioral Neuroscience
Humanities (24 hrs.)
Written Communication - Core Skill and Critical Inquiry.
- Composition. Satisfied by ENGL 101, ACT English score of 27 or above or SAT English score of 600 or above, AP English Literature & Composition score of 3 or above, or equivalent transfer course. Requirement must be completed during initial term of admission at KU.
- Critical Reading and Writing. Satisfied by ENGL 102, or ENGL 105 (Honors), AP English Literature & Composition score of 4 or above, or an equivalent transfer course. Requirement must be completed within the first academic year at KU.
- Sophomore Reading and Writing II. Satisfied by ENGL 203, or ENGL 205 (Honors), ENGL 209, or ENGL 210 or ENGL 211, AP English Literature & Composition score of 5 or above, or an equivalent transfer course.
Western Civilization - Exploration of One's Own and Diverse Cultures. Advising Alert: Requires sophomore-level standing. Courses at other universities may have the same title but may not meet this requirement.
- Western Civilization I - Ancient, Medieval & Early Modern Periods of Western Civilization. Satisfied by: HWC 204 or HWC 114 (Honors)
- Western Civilization II - Modern Western Civilization. Satisfied by: HWC 205 or HWC 115 (Honors)
Humanities - Understanding the Human Condition. Satisfied by completing 2 courses (6 hrs.) in any of the following categories: historical studies (requirement code HT), literature and the arts (requirement code HL), philosophy and religion (requirement code HR) and humanities (requirement code H). Approved courses may be searched for availability through the Kyou portal.
Natural Science (14 hrs. minimum)
Satisfied by completing 2 of the following 4 sequences AND an extension of 1 sequence (1 additional advanced course), or an approved alternative (14 hrs. minimum).
- Biology: BIOL 150 and BIOL 152 (8).
- Chemistry: CHEM 130 and CHEM 135 (10).
- Physics: PHSX 114 and PHSX 115 (8).
- Biological Anthropology: ANTH 104/ANTH 304 and ANTH 340, ANTH 341, ANTH 350, ANTH 442, or ANTH 447 (6).
Mathematics (12 hrs. minimum)
Satisfied by completing 12 hours of mathematics coursework, 6 hours of which must be calculus or calculus based. (Typical sequence includes: MATH 103, Math 115, MATH 116 and an additional MATH course.)
Computing (6 hrs. minimum)
Satisfied by EECS 138 and an additional course.
The second 3 hours could either be a second semester of EECS 138 (focused on a second programming language) or be from an additional approved course that provides an opportunity to gain computing experience. This second course could be PSYC 480 or PSYC 481 if this Independent Study requires independent, original application of the student’s computing skills such as computer simulation of cognitive processes, or experience with computationally complex neuroscience techniques, such as brain imaging and mapping, or physiological data collection and analysis. (3)
Behavioral Neuroscience Major Course Requirements
Behavioral Neuroscience Prerequisite or Co-Requisite Knowledge. Majors must complete courses as specified in each of the following areas. These hours do not contribute to the minimum number of hours required for the major.
- Orientation Seminar in Psychology. Satisfied by PSYC 102.
- General Psychology. Satisfied by PSYC 104 or PSYC 105.
- College Algebra or Pre-Calculus. Satisfied by MATH 101 or MATH 104 or equivalent.
- Introductory Biology Course. Satisfied by BIOL 100 or BIOL 150.
Behavioral Neuroscience Core Knowledge and Skills. Majors must complete coursework in each of the following 4 areas:
- Behavioral Neuroscience Courses (6 hours minimum). Satisfied by PSYC 370/PSYC 371, PSYC 380/PSYC 381, or PSYC 644.
- Laboratory Courses (9 hours minimum). Satisfied by PSYC 200/PSYC 201 and PSYC 625.
- Quantitative Courses (9 hours minimum). Satisfied by PSYC 210/PSYC 211, PSYC 500, PSYC 650, PSYC 651, PSYC 679, PSYC 687, PSYC 692, PSYC 693, PSYC 694, PSYC 695, or PSYC 696.
- Applied Research Experience (4 hours minimum). Satisfied by PSYC 449, PSYC 460, PSYC 480, or PSYC 481.
Elective Courses in Psychology or Other Disciplines. Majors must complete 12 hours minimum (other electives may be accepted with permission of the B.S. director) Satisfied by PSYC 418, PSYC 432, PSYC 482, PSYC 555, PSYC 605, PSYC 630, PSYC 646, PSYC 678, LING 438, or SPLH 320.
Behavioral Neuroscience Major Hours & GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and grade-point average minimum standards:
Satisfied by 40 hours of major courses.
Major Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 15 hours of KU resident credit in the major.
Major Junior/Senior (300+) Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in junior/senior courses (300+) in the major. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.