Requirements for the B.A. or B.G.S. Major
B.A. or B.G.S. Major in Psychology
Psychology Major Course Requirements
Psychology Prerequisite or Co-Requisite Knowledge. Majors must complete courses as specified in each of the following area. These hours do not contribute to the minimum number of hours required for the major.
- College Algebra or Pre-Calculus. Satisfied by MATH 101 or 104.
Psychology Core Knowledge and Skills. Majors must complete a course in each of the following 9 areas:
- Orientation Seminar in Psychology. Satisfied by PSYC 102.
- General Psychology. Satisfied by PSYC 104 or PSYC 105
- Research Methods in Psychology. Satisfied by PSYC 200 or PSYC 201
- Statistics in Psychological Research. Satisfied by PSYC 210 or PSYC 211
Note: A student may not take more than 3 of the following core courses before being admitted to the major.
- Cognitive Psychology. Satisfied by PSYC 318 or PSYC 319.
- Child Development. Satisfied by PSYC 333 or PSYC 334.
- Abnormal Psychology. Satisfied by PSYC 350 or PSYC 351.
- Social Psychology. Satisfied by PSYC 360 or PSYC 361.
- Biological Psychology. One course required: PSYC 370, PSYC 371, PSYC 380, or PSYC 381.
Psychology Required Electives. Majors must complete 12 hours, at least 6 of these hours must be completed with courses numbered 300 or higher.
Psychology Major Hours & Major GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and grade-point average minimum standards:
Satisfied by 37 hours of major courses. Note: No more than 3 hours of PSYC 480, 481, or 483 may count toward the minimum hours required for the major. (No more than a 6-hour combination of these courses may be counted toward the major.)
Major Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 15 hours of KU resident credit in the major.
Major Junior/Senior (300+) Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 21 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in junior/senior courses (300+) in the major. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.
Major Junior/Senior Major Attempts
Summary includes American Studies junior/senior (300+) hours attempted, including F's and incompletes.