Admission to M.A. or Ph.D. programs is based on the applicant’s undergraduate and/or graduate record, standardized test scores, and references from instructors. All applicants must complete a bachelor’s degree. A completed application must include
- Online graduate application,
- Graduate Record Examination results —verbal, quantitative, and analytical,
- A 1- to 2-page statement of goals and research interests,
- 3 letters of recommendation, preferably from faculty members,
- A nonrefundable application fee (see Admission in the Graduate Studies section of the online catalog), and
- 1 official transcript from each college or university attended.
An official transcript is one that is sent directly from the registrar of the applicant’s school to the department. All these materials must be received before the application can be considered.
An applicant who wishes to be considered for regular fall admission and for a graduate teaching assistantship must complete the application by January 10 for the coming academic year. A student who wishes to be considered for fall admission but not for a teaching assistantship should submit the application by April 15 but may do so earlier.
Submit your graduate application online. Send all other requested application materials to the department:
The University of Kansas
Department of Political Science
1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
Lawrence, KS 66045-3129