First- and Second-Year Preparation
Although majors are not required to take courses in philosophy in their first 2 years, the department recommends that they do so. Prospective majors are encouraged to begin with one of the 100-level courses. These courses provide introductions to broad areas of philosophy, and students may apply one 100-level course toward the major requirements. PHIL 310, PHIL 384, PHIL 386, and PHIL 388 are required prerequisites for upper-division work and should be taken early. Prospective majors should consult the director of undergraduate studies early to plan course work.
Requirements for the B.A. or B.G.S. Major
Philosophy Major Core Knowledge and Skills
Majors must complete a course in each of the following areas:
- Ancient Philosophy. Satisfied by PHIL 384.
- Modern Philosophy from Descartes to Kant. Satisfied by PHIL 386.
Philosophy Major Required Electives
- Symbolic Logic. Satisfied by PHIL 310 or PHIL 610.
- Value Theory. Satisfied by completing one of the following courses: PHIL 555, PHIL 662, PHIL 668, PHIL 670, or PHIL 672.
- Metaphysics / Theory of Knowledge / Philosophy of Language / Philosophy of Mind. Satisfied by completing one of the following courses: PHIL 638, PHIL 648, PHIL 650, or PHIL 654.
- 19th/20th Century Philosophy. Satisfied by PHIL 388 (Analytic Philosophy: Frege to Quine) and 1 course from those numbered PHIL 560-592.
Satisfied by completing 6 additional hours of PHIL courses, 3 hours of which must be at the at the 500-level or above.
Major Hours & Major GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and GPA minimum standards:
Satisfied by 27 hours of major courses, or 33 hours required if completing departmental honors course PHIL 499.
Major Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 15 hours of KU resident credit in the major.
Major Junior/Senior (300+) Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 24 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the major.
Major Junior/Senior (500+) Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 12 hours from junior/senior courses (500+) in the major.
Major Junior/Senior (300+) Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in junior/senior courses (300+) in the major. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.