The applicant must hold a baccalaureate degree and have at least a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) grade-point average in previous academic work to be considered for admission to regular graduate status in the program. Admission is based on the applicant’s undergraduate record, 3 letters of recommendation, a statement of academic objectives, writing sample, and Graduate Record Examination scores. Acceptance is decided by the faculty advisory committee in consultation with the department responsible for administering the academic track most pertinent to the applicant’s career interests.
Complete the application and submit the non-refundable application fee online. The Office of Graduate Studies oversees the general graduate admissions process.
The Museum Studies program requires the following specific components be submitted via the online process:
- A copy of the applicant's official transcript from the institution from which the undergraduate degree was received.
- A copy of official transcripts from any graduate institutions attended.
- A statement of academic objectives. This component of the application is very important. It should be a thoughtful, well-written statement addressing the applicant's reasons for wanting to enter the program, career goals, relevant background information, the match of the program to individual interests and any additional pertinent information. If performance records are below expectations, provide an explanation of any extenuating circumstances.
- 3 letters of recommendation.
- GRE scores; use university code 6871 and department code 5101.
- A resume or curriculum vitae listing history of employment since bachelor's degree, scholarships/fellowships and awards.
- A sample of written academic work.
- For international students only, TOEFL scores or acceptable alternative to demonstrate English proficiency.
- All admitted international students are required to submit documents of financial support. The documents are not required until after the student has been admitted to a graduate program. It is acceptable to send evidence of financial support along with other required materials at the time of application.