Requirements for the Minor
Linguistics Minor Course Requirements
Students selecting this option must complete a course in each of the following areas:
- Linguistics Language Proficiency. Majors must meet Language Proficiency (4th level proficiency) in a second language. See the chart of Foreign Languages offered at KU for world languages with KU course offerings through the proficiency level.
- Introductory Linguistics. Satisfied by LING 106 or LING 107.
- Language & Mind. Satisfied by LING 110.
- Phonetics I. Satisfied by LING 305.
- Introduction to Phonology. Satisfied by LING 312.
- Syntax. Satisfied by LING 325.
Linguistics Required Electives
Students selecting this minor must complete at least one junior/senior (300+) LING elective course, chosen by the student in consultation with the linguistics advisor.
Minor Hours & GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and grade point average minimum standards:
Satisfied by 18 hours of minor courses.
Minor Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 12 hours of junior/senior (300+) hours of KU resident credit in the minor.
Minor Junior/Senior Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 12 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the major.
Minor Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 GPA in all departmental courses in the minor. GPA calculations include all departmental courses in the field of study including Fs and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.