Requirements for the B.A. or B.G.S. Major
Linguistics Language Proficiency
Majors must meet Language Proficiency (4th level proficiency) in a second language. Even those seeking the B.G.S. in Linguistics must complete the 4th level of foreign language proficiency. See the chart of Foreign Languages offered at KU for world languages with KU course offerings through the proficiency level.
Linguistics Major Core Knowledge and Skills
Majors must complete a course in each of the following areas:
- Introductory Linguistics. Satisfied by LING 106 or LING 107.
- Language & Mind. Satisfied by LING 110.
- Phonetics I. Satisfied by LING 305.
- Introduction to Phonology. Satisfied by LING 312.
- Syntax. Satisfied by LING 325.
Linguistics Required Electives
Majors must complete an elective course in each of the following areas:
- Acquisition & Processing. Satisfied by LING 415, LING 425, LING 435, or LING 438.
- Structure & Description. Satisfied by LING 370, LING 441, LING 447, LING 570, LING 572, or LING 575.
- Form & Meaning. Satisfied by LING 308, LING 327, or LING 331.
Satisfied by 1 additional course (3 hours) in linguistics at the junior/senior (300+) level, chosen by the student in consultation with the undergraduate coordinator. Each course must be at least 3 credit hours.
Majors must complete one capstone course:
- LING 420 Capstone: Research in Language Science or
LING 421 Capstone: Typology - The Unity and Diversity of Human Language
Major Hours & Major GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and GPA minimum standards:
Satisfied by 30 hours of major courses, or 33 hours required if completing departmental honors course LING 496.
Major Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 24 junior/senior (300+) hours of KU resident credit in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 24 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the major.
Junior/Senior (300+) Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in junior/senior courses (300+) in the major. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.