Requirements to Select B.G.S. Liberal Arts and Sciences Degree Option
Liberal Arts and Sciences Admission Criteria
- Exploration of 10 departments within the College.
- Admission GPA at or above cumulative 2.0 KU GPA (2.0 required).
CLAS Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) General Education Requirements
General Education provides opportunities for the development of core skills, critical inquiry, integrated knowledge, an appreciation of diversity, contemporary issues, and social responsibility.
B.G.S. Liberal Arts and Sciences Degree Option Requirements
The Bachelor of General Studies degree has two distinct options for completion and requires either:
- - Liberal Arts and Sciences Breadth Requirement. Satisfied by the completion of a course (with a minimum of 2 credit hours) in 15 unique departments/programs within the College or School of the Arts (as determined by course prefix). Courses fulfilling this requirement may also contribute to the KU Core and other requirements.
-World Language and Culture. Satisfied by either:
- 2 courses (each with 3 credit hours or more) in a single world language OR
In addition to the common degree requirements above, the student must complete 3 courses (each with 3 credit hours or more) in world, non-Western culture (W or NW designated courses), or language areas. This may include a variety of areas, languages, and cultures.
- Additional Natural Sciences and Mathematics. Satisfied by the completion of two additional courses from the natural sciences (requirement code N) and/or mathematics (MATH prefix courses).
Minimum hour and grade-point average standards (all CLAS degrees)
- 120 credit hours
- 45 junior/senior credit hours (numbered 300 or above)
- 100 credit hours from units in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- 2.0 minimum KU cumulative grade-point average