Latin American and Caribbean Studies Majors
Students may earn a double major (one in a particular discipline and one in Latin American and Caribbean studies) or a single major in Latin American and Caribbean studies. In addition to meeting the College language requirement in Spanish or Portuguese, all majors earn a minimum of 30 hours in substantive courses on Latin America and the Caribbean.
Requirements for the B.A. or B.G.S. Major
Language Proficiency Requirements
Complete each of the following:
- Intermediate-level language (4 semesters or equivalent) at least up to the following: SPAN 216 or SPAN 217 or SPAN 220 or SPAN 222
Courses may count for 2 requirements. Complete each of the following (9 hours):
- LAA 100 Latin American Culture and Society
- LAA 300 Interdisciplinary Themes in Latin American Studies
- LAA 450 Capstone Course in Latin American Studies
A minimum of 24 hours (8 different courses) is required. These courses may also be used toward a minor. Complete each of the following:
- 12 hours in Language, Literature, and Culture (4 different courses)
- 12 hours in Society, Politics, and Economics (4 different courses)
Minimum Major Requirements
Note: Students earning a double major must have 15 hours unique to each major.