Requirements for the Minor
This multidisciplinary program enables students to examine conflict within and between societies as well as ways that humans address conflict through war, mediation, law, diplomacy, institutions, and peaceful resistance.
Students selecting this minor must complete each of the following:
Introduction to Peace and Conflict Studies. Satisfied by PCS 120.
Peace and Conflict Studies Core Knowledge and Skills. Satisfied by 2 courses (6 hours) from the following:
- HIST 314 Globalization, History and Theory (3)
- PCS 550 Classics of Peace Literature (3)
- POLS 679 International Conflict (3)
- REL 667 Religious Perspectives on War and Peace (3)
- SOC 650 Comparative Racial and Ethnic Relations (3)
Peace and Conflict Studies Required Elective. Satisfied by 2 courses (6 hours) from the following or from the core courses listed above:
- ANTH 465 Genocide and Ethnocide (3)
- ENGL 479 The Literature of: _____ (3)
- EURS 505 Studies in Exile Literature (3)
- EURS 565 The Literature of Human Rights (3)
- HIST 343 The Holocaust in History (3)
- HIST 369 Colonialism and Revolution in the Third World, Honors (3)
- HIST 370 Violence and Conflict in Latin American History (3)
- PCS 555 Topics in Peace and Conflict Studies: _____ (3)
- PCS 560 Directed Study in Peace and Conflict Studies (3)
- PCS 565 The Literature of Human Rights (3)
- PHIL 555 Justice and Economic Systems (3)
- POLS 650 Palestinians and Israelis (3)
- POLS 671 International Cooperation (3)
- POLS 673 International Organization (3)
- POLS 685 International Law: Laws of Armed Conflict (3)
- PSYC 572 Psychology and International Conflict (3)
- REL 669 Human Conflict and Peace (3)
- SOC 531 Global Social Change (3)
Senior Seminar in Peace and Conflict Studies. Satisfied by PCS 650.
Minor Hours & Minor GPA
While completing all required courses, minors must also meet each of the following hour and GPA minimum standards:
Satisfied by 18 hours of minor courses.
Minor Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 9 junior/senior (300+) hours of KU resident credit in the minor.
Minor Junior/Senior Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 12 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the minor.
Minor Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in all departmental courses in the minor. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.
Note: Only 3 hours can be shared between the minor and any other minor or major. Students may not count more than 9 hours of course work from any one department toward completion of the minor.