Candidates requesting consideration for admission to the M.A., M.A./Ph.D., or Ph.D. program in history must complete the online application through the Office of Graduate Studies. Information about minimum requirements and codes for GRE or TOEFL tests can be found at this site as well. Note that documents, including a writing sample and transcripts, should be uploaded to this site. There is no need to send hard copies of application materials to the department. When the Office of Graduate Studies receives your application, they will forward your information to the department.
When you apply, specify to which program you would like admission: M.A. only, M.A./Ph.D., or the Ph.D. We recommend that candidates seeking admission directly into the Ph.D. program first earn an M.A. in history or a related field.
The application materials that each candidate must submit are:
- Statement of Academic Objectives, including a clear plan for graduate research in a specific field of study
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Writing sample demonstrating independent historical research and analysis (10 pages maximum)
Send a sample of your work that best represents your scholarly abilities: The department is interested in reviewing your well-crafted, persuasively argued sample. Such papers are often derived from an upper-level undergraduate history class in which you conducted independent research and employed both primary and secondary sources. If you have an M.A. in history, the writing sample should be taken from your thesis or a major paper written in a graduate seminar.
- GRE Scores, sent directly to the History Department
- Transcripts from undergraduate and graduate schools
- 3 letters of recommendation. The letters can be directly uploaded online by those who write the recommendations, or they can be sent to the Department of History, ATTN: Graduate Administrator, 1445 Jayhawk Boulevard, Wescoe 3650, The University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045. A recommendation form for hard copy letters can be downloaded at the department website.
For more information, please contact: Ashley Durkee, Graduate Administrator (email@example.com or 785-864-9438).
Submit your graduate application online. Send all other requested application materials to the department:
The University of Kansas
Department of History
1445 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 3650
Lawrence, KS 66045-7594
The application deadline for admission and financial aid is December 1, to begin the program the following fall semester. Non-U.S. citizens must submit their materials by November 15.