History of Art Programs
Bachelor’s degrees with majors in the history of art are offered in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (B.A. and B.G.S.) and in the School of the Arts (B.F.A.). See Bachelor of Fine Arts in History of Art in the School of the Arts Department of Visual Art section of the catalog for B.F.A. requirements.
Requirements for the B.A. or B.G.S. Major
History of Art Core Knowledge and Skills
Majors must complete at least 1 course (3 hours) at or above the 200 level in each of these 5 categories:
- Ancient or Medieval Art. Satisfied by 1 Ancient or Medieval Art course.
- Renaissance or Baroque Art. Satisfied by 1 Renaissance or Baroque Art course.
- Modern Art (19th-21st-century art, American art, & history of photography). Satisfied by 1 Modern Art course.
- East Asian Art. Satisfied by 1 East Asian Art course.
- Non-Western (East Asian or African) Art. Satisfied by 1 Non-Western (East Asian or African) Art course.
Studio Art or Aesthetics Option
- A studio art or aesthetics course (or philosophy course approved by advisor).
History of Art Required Electives
- 12 hours elective required if student takes a course in studio art or aesthetics.
- 15 hours elective required if student DOES NOT take a course in studio art or aesthetics.
Note: HA 100/HA 300 is a 1-semester survey of Western art history intended for non-majors and does not count toward the 30 required hours in art history. A student who takes HA 100 or HA 300 and then decides to major in art history must then also take either HA 150 or HA 151 (or both). A student who already has credit in either HA 150 or HA 151, however, should not take HA 100 or HA 300.
Major Hours & Major GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and grade-point average minimum standards:
Satisfied by 30 hours of major courses.
Major Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 15 hours of KU resident credit in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 12 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in junior/senior courses (300+) in the major. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.