First- and Second-Year Preparation
To complete the requirements for the degree in 4 years, prospective majors are strongly urged to complete all general education and language requirements no later than the end of the fall semester of the junior year and the general requirements for the major from the options listed below. For more information, contact the Center for Global and International Studies advising specialist in 318 Blake Hall.
Admission to the Major
Students are admitted to the major by application. Applications are available in 318 Blake Hall.
- Fourth-semester proficiency language course (or demonstrated proficiency).
- Any 3 of the following general requirements for the major:
- ABSC 150 Community Leadership
- ANTH 108/ANTH 109 or ANTH 308 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- ECON 104/ECON 105 Introductory Economics or
ECON 144/ECON 145 Principles of Macroeconomics
- GEOG 100 World Regional Geography or
GEOG 102 Principles of Human Geography
- HIST 308 Key Themes in Modern Global History
- POLS 150/POLS 151 Introduction to Comparative Politics or
POLS 170/POLS 171 Introduction to International Politics
- REL 106 Living Religions of the East or
REL 107 Living Religions of the West
- SOC 130/SOC 131 Comparative Societies
Grade-Point Average Requirements
A minimum grade-point average of 2.70 is required.
Grade-Point Average Calculation. The admission grade-point average calculation includes all designated admission courses. It may not include all KU course work. KU’s course repeat policy applies to the grade-point average calculation. If a student has taken more than the minimum number of course options in the application term, grades received in any designated admission course requirement up to and including that term may be computed in the grade-point average for admission consideration. Only course grades from repeated lower-level courses, meeting the standards of the KU course repeat policy, are omitted from the grade-point average calculation.
- Complete the application form and attach a current ARTS form.
- Submit the completed application to the Center for Global and International Studies, 318 Blake Hall, by the deadline. Students are strongly urged to complete all admission requirements and apply to the major by the beginning of the junior year.
Students should apply to the major during the semester in which major admission criteria will be completed; normally no later than 60 hours, or for transfer students, normally during the initial term at KU. Application to this major after completion of 60 hours, or the initial term for transfer studenst, will likely delay graduation.