Requirements for the Minor in Atmospheric Science
Student selecting this minor must complete courses as specified in each of the following areas:
Atmospheric Science Prerequisite or Co-requisite Knowledge
- Calculus I. Satisfied by MATH 121 or MATH 141 (or equivalent).
- Calculus II. Satisfied by MATH 122 or MATH 142 (or equivalent).
- General Physics I. Satisfied by PHSX 211 & PHSX 216, or PHSX 213.
Atmospheric Science Minor Course Requirements
- Introductory Meteorology (5). Satisfied by ATMO 105.
- Climate and Climate Change (3). Satisfied by ATMO 321/GEOG 321.
- Weather Forecasting (3). Satisfied by ATMO 505.
Atmospheric Science Required Electives
Student selecting this minor must complete 3 courses (9 hours) of the following:
- ATMO 521 Microclimatology
- ATMO 525 Air Pollution Meteorology
- ATMO 630 Synoptic Meteorology
- ATMO 640 Dynamic Meteorology
- ATMO 642 Remote Sensing
- ATMO 680 Physical Meteorology
Minor Hours & Minor GPA
While completing all required courses, minors must also meet each of the following hour and GPA minimum standards:
Satisfied by 20 hours of minor courses.
Minor Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 9 hours of KU resident credit in the minor.
Minor Junior/Senior (300+) Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 15 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the minor.
Minor Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in all departmental courses in the minor. GPA calculations include all departmental courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.