Requirements for the B.A. or B.G.S. Major
Environmental Studies Introduction to Science and Culture. Majors must complete both of the following:
- Global Environment I: The Discovery of Environmental Change. Satisfied by EVRN 140 (EVRN 144).
- Global Environment II: The Ecology of Civilization. Satisfied by EVRN 142/EVRN 145.
Environmental Studies Core Knowledge and Skills. Majors must complete a course in each of the following areas:
- Environmental Policy Analysis. Satisfied by EVRN 320.
- Environmental Law. Satisfied by EVRN 332.
- Field Ecology. Satisfied by EVRN 460.
- Capstone Experience. Satisfied by EVRN 615.
Environmental Studies Required Electives/Options. Majors must select an option or design their own. Self-designed emphases must be approved in their entirety by an environmental studies advisor and the undergraduate studies director before implementation. Each option requires 4 courses at the 300+ level.
Major Hours & Major GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and grade-point average minimum standards:
Satisfied by 40 hours of major courses.
Major Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 15 hours of KU resident credit in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 30 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in junior/senior courses (300+) in the major. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.
With careful planning and commitment to a full-time course load, you can graduate in 4 years. Please work with your major advisor to discuss a 4-year plan in environmental studies.