M.A. Degree Requirements
Concentration in Communication Studies
For course work areas, see Ph.D. requirements.
Communication Studies (30 hours total). Satisfactory completion of these required courses:
- COMS 851 Communication Research: Historical and Descriptive (3) or
COMS 852 Communication Research: Experimentation and Quantitative Analysis (3).
- A second methodology course appropriate for the student's area of study. (A list of courses is provided following the requirements.)
- COMS 859 Proseminar in Communication Studies (3).
- COMS 899 Master's Thesis (6).
- At least 6 hours in each of 2 areas of communication.
- 3 additional credit hours from any communication studies courses or from outside the department.
- Final oral examination.
A nonthesis option is available in communication studies. Requirements for this option include:
- Communication Studies (6 hours total):
• COMS 859 Proseminar in Communication Studies (3) and
• COMS 851 Communication Research: Historical and Descriptive (3) or
COM 852 Introduction to Research Methods (3)
- At least 9 hours in each of 2 areas of communication.
- 6 hours of electives.
- General examination. Each student must complete an examination over the 2 course work concentrations. The examination is structured as follows:
• 1 hour written over required courses
• 2 hours written over the first major area of communication
• 2 hours written over the second major area of communication
• 1 hour oral examination
KU Edwards Campus M.A. Program
The M.A. also is offered on the KU Edwards Campus in Overland Park. The requirements for the degree at the Edwards Campus are the same as for the program on the Lawrence campus. Edwards Campus classes are taught by the same faculty members who teach regularly in Lawrence. Courses are scheduled during the late afternoons and evenings to accommodate working professionals.