Requirements for the B.A. or B.G.S. Major
Prerequisite Knowledge. Majors must complete a public speaking requirement as specified below. These hours do not contribute to the minimum number of hours required for the major.
Communication Studies Core Knowledge and Skills. Majors must complete a course in each of the following core areas:
- Introduction to Rhetoric & Social Influence. Satisfied by COMS 235.
- Introduction to Behavioral Research Methods in Communication. Satisfied by COMS 356.
- Communication Theory. Satisfied by 2 of the following courses: COMS 244, COMS 246, COMS 310, COMS 320, or COMS 332.
- Effective Business Communication or Persuasive Speaking. Satisfied by COMS 330 or COMS 331.
- Additional Communication Course. Satisfied by 1 of the following: COMS 231, COMS 330, COMS 331, COMS 342, COMS 344, COMS 548, or COMS 605.
Major Hours & Major GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and grade point average minimum standards:
Satisfied by 30 hours of major courses.
Major Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 15 hours of KU resident credit in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 12 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in junior/senior courses (300+) in the major. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.