Majors and Concentrations
Bachelor’s degree requirements in biology are modified as necessary. Current requirements are available in the UBP office and online. Major programs are offered in biochemistry, biology, human biology, and microbiology. Students may choose to concentrate in a range of specialties in the biological sciences, such as botany, cellular biology, developmental biology, environmental biology, ecology, entomology, genetics, marine biology, molecular biology, neurobiology, paleontology, physiology, systematics, or zoology (invertebrate or vertebrate).
Requirements for the B.A. Major in Microbiology
Course work allows students to study microbiology as part of their general education and provides a background for teachers. It also prepares students for work in medical, public health, research, and industrial laboratories; for graduate, medical, or dental school; or for the clinical laboratory sciences program.
For general requirements for the B.A. degree, see CLAS General Education Degree Requirements on the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Degree Requirements page.
General Science Requirements
Microbiology General Science Requirements (34-36 Hours)
- Principles of Molecular & Cellular Biology. Satisfied by BIOL 150 or BIOL 151.
- Principles of Genetics. Satisfied by BIOL 350 or BIOL 360.
- Chemistry I. Satisfied by CHEM 130 (formerly CHEM 184) or CHEM 190 (formerly CHEM 185).
- Chemistry II. CHEM 135 (formerly CHEM 188) or CHEM 195 (formerly CHEM 189).
- Organic Chemistry I. Satisfied by CHEM 310 (formerly CHEM 622) or CHEM 330 (formerly CHEM 624).
- Organic Chemistry I Laboratory. Satisfied by CHEM 331 (formerly CHEM 625).
- Calculus I. Satisfied by MATH 115 and MATH 116, MATH 121, or MATH 141.
- College Physics or General Physics I. Satisfied by PHSX 114, by PHSX 211 & PHSX 216, or by PHSX 213.
- College Physics or General Physics II. Satisfied by PHSX 115, by PHSX 212 & PHSX 236, or by PHSX 214.
Microbiology Core Knowledge & Skills (9-10 Hours)
- Fundamentals of Microbiology. Satisfied by BIOL 400 or BIOL 401.
- Fundamentals of Microbiology Laboratory. Satisfied by BIOL 402.
- Microbial Physiology or Introductory Biochemistry. Satisfied by BIOL 516 or BIOL 600.
- Senior Seminar: Current Progress in Microbiology. Satisfied by BIOL 599. Must be taken in senior year.
Microbiology Electives and Laboratory Requirements. Satisfied by completing 15 hours of microbiology courses, including 3 lab courses, selected from the following: BIOL 503, BIOL 504, BIOL 506, BIOL 507, BIOL 512, BIOL 513, BIOL 517, BIOL 518, or BIOL 519.
Microbiology Elective. Satisfied by completing 3 additional hours of biology courses numbered 400 or higher to be selected in consultation with a microbiology advisor.
Major Hours & Major GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and grade-point average minimum standards:
Satisfied by 27 hours of major courses.
Major Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 15 hours of KU resident credit in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 27 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in junior/senior courses (300+) in the major. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.