Majors and Concentrations
Bachelor’s degree requirements in biology are modified as necessary. Current requirements are available in the UBP office and online. Major programs are offered in biochemistry, biology, human biology, and microbiology. Students may choose to concentrate in a range of specialties in the biological sciences, such as botany, cellular biology, developmental biology, environmental biology, ecology, entomology, genetics, marine biology, molecular biology, neurobiology, paleontology, physiology, systematics, or zoology (invertebrate or vertebrate).
Requirements for the B.A. Major in Biology
Major Course Requirements
General Science Requirements (28-30 hours).
- Chemistry I. Satisfied by CHEM 130 (formerly CHEM 184) or CHEM 195 (formerly CHEM 185).
- Chemistry II. Satisfied by CHEM 135 (formerly CHEM 188) or CHEM 195 (formerly CHEM 189).
- Organic Chemistry I. Satisfied by CHEM 310 (formerly CHEM 622) or CHEM 330 (formerly CHEM 624)
- Organic Chemistry I Laboratory. Satisfied by CHEM 331 (formerly CHEM 625)
- Calculus I. Satisfied by MATH 115 and MATH 116, MATH 121, or MATH 141.
- College Physics or General Physics I. Satisfied by PHSX 114 or by PHSX 211 & PHSX 216.
- College Physics or General Physics II. Satisfied by PHSX 115 or by PHSX 212 & PHSX 236.
Biology Core Requirements (24-25 hours).
- Principles of Molecular & Cellular Biology. Satisfied by: BIOL 150 or BIOL 151.
- Principles of Organismal Biology. Satisfied by BIOL 152 or BIOL 153.
- Principles of Genetics. Satisfied by BIOL 350 or BIOL 360.
- Evolutionary Biology. Satisfied by BIOL 412.
- Senior Seminar in Biology. Satisfied by BIOL 599 (BIOL 420 prior to spring 2006). Must be taken in senior year.
- Diversity of Organisms / Principles of Ecology / Introduction to Systematics. Satisfied by 1 of the following: BIOL 413, BIOL 414, or BIOL 428 (formerly BIOL 550).
- Fundamentals / Development / Function. Satisfied by 2 of the following: BIOL 400 or BIOL 401, BIOL 408, BIOL 416 or BIOL 536, BIOL 417, or BIOL 600.
Electives and Laboratory Requirements. Satisfied by completing 10 hours of BIOL courses numbered 400 or higher which include at least 4 hours of laboratory credit. Courses listed above which have not been used to fulfill the above requirements may be used as electives. No more than 3 hours of BIOL 423 Non-Lab Independent Study and/or BIOL 424 Independent Study (combined) can be applied towards the elective requirement with no more than 2 hours of BIOL 424 being applied towards the laboratory requirement.
- Biology Electives. Satisfied by completing at least 6 hours of biology courses numbered 400 or higher.
- Biology Laboratory Electives. Satisfied by completing at least 4 hours of biology lab courses numbered 400 or higher. No more than 2 hours of BIOL 424 may be applied towards the laboratory requirement.
Major Hours & Major GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and grade-point average minimum standards:
Satisfied by 34 hours of major courses.
Major Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 15 hours of KU resident credit in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 26 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in junior/senior courses (300+) in the major. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.