Majors and Concentrations
Bachelor’s degree requirements in biology are modified as necessary. Current requirements are available in the UBP office and online. Major programs are offered in biochemistry, biology, human biology, and microbiology. Students may choose to concentrate in a range of specialties in the biological sciences, such as botany, cellular biology, developmental biology, environmental biology, ecology, entomology, genetics, marine biology, molecular biology, neurobiology, paleontology, physiology, systematics, or zoology (invertebrate or vertebrate).
Requirements for the B.A. Major in Biochemistry
Major Course Requirements
General Science Requirements. Satisfied by completing 32-37 hours.
- Chemistry I. Satisfied by CHEM 130 (formerly CHEM 184), CHEM 190 (formerly CHEM 185), or CHEM 170.
- Chemistry II. Satisfied by CHEM 135 (formerly CHEM 188), CHEM 195 (formerly CHEM 189), or CHEM 175.
- Organic Chemistry I. Satisfied by CHEM 330 (formerly CHEM 624) or CHEM 380 (formerly CHEM 628.)
- Organic Chemistry I Laboratory. CHEM 331 (formerly CHEM 625).
- Organic Chemistry II. Satisfied by CHEM 335 (formerly CHEM 626).
- Calculus I and II. Satisfied by MATH 115 & MATH 116 or MATH 121 & MATH 122 (or equivalent). Students who plan to attend graduate school should enroll in MATH 121 and 122.
- Physics. Satisfied by PHSX 211 & PHSX 216 and PHSX 212 & PHSX 236 or by PHSX 114 & PHSX 115.
- Principles of Molecular & Cellular Biology. Satisfied by BIOL 150 or BIOL 151.
- Principles of Organismal Biology. Satisfied by BIOL 152 or BIOL 153.
- Principles of Genetics. Satisfied by BIOL 350 or BIOL 360 (BIOL 404 prior to Spring 2005).
- Biochemistry I. Satisfied by BIOL 636.
- Introductory Biochemistry Laboratory. Satisfied by BIOL 637.
- Biochemistry II. Satisfied by BIOL 638.
- Advanced Biochemistry Laboratory. Satisfied by BIOL 639.
- Gene Expression. Satisfied by BIOL 672.
- Senior Seminar in Biochemistry. Satisfied by BIOL 599 (BIOL 420 prior to Fall 2005). Must be taken in senior year.
- Biological Physical Chemistry. Satisfied by CHEM 510 (formerly CHEM 640).
Biochemistry Electives. Satisfied by completing at least 6 hours of biology courses numbered 400 or higher. These courses must be selected in consultation with a biochemistry advisor. Some suggested courses are BIOL 400 or BIOL 401, BIOL 408, BIOL 416 or BIOL 536, BIOL 417, BIOL 424, or BIOL 646. No more than 3 hours of BIOL 423 Non-Lab Independent Study and/or BIOL 424 Independent Study (combined) can be applied towards the elective requirement.
Major Hours & Major GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and grade-point average minimum standards:
Satisfied by 34 hours of major courses.
Major Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 15 hours of KU resident credit in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 26 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in junior/senior courses (300+) in the major. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.