Requirements for the Minor in Astrobiology
Astrobiology Minor Course Requirements
Students selecting this minor must complete courses as specified in each of the following areas:
- Calculus I. Satisfied by MATH 121 (preferred) or MATH 115.
- Foundations of Chemistry I. Satisfied by CHEM 130.
- Principles of Molecular and Cellular Biology. Satisfied by BIOL 150.
- Geology. Satisfied by 1 of the following:
GEOL 101 Introduction to Geology (3)
GEOL 105 History of the Earth (3)
GEOL 121 Prehistoric Life: DNA to Dinosaurs (3)
- Physical Astronomy, Honors. Satisfied by ASTR 391.
- Astrobiology Core. Satisfied by ASTR 394 or ASTR 503
- Astrobiology Required Electives. Student selecting this minor must complete 6 credit hours of course work in astronomy, biology, chemistry, geology, or physics at the 300-level or higher and not in the student's major field.
Minor Hours & Minor GPA
While completing all required courses, minors must also meet each of the following hour and grade-point average minimum standards:
Satisfied by 18 hours of major courses.
Minor Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 9 junior/senior (300+) hours of KU resident credit in the major.
Minor Junior/Senior Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 15 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the minor.
Minor Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in junior/senior courses (300+) in the minor. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.