B.F.A. in Theatre Design Degree Requirements
The program leading to the B.F.A. degree in theatre design is offered cooperatively by the School of the Arts and the Department of Theatre. A minimum of 120 hours is required, including 75 hours of major program course work.
Foundations: Art and Design (12 hours)
- ART 101 Drawing I (3)
- ART 102 Drawing II (3)
- ART 103 Art Concepts and Practice (3)
- ART 104 Art Principles and Practice (3)
Core Theatre Courses (30 hours)
- THR 100 Introduction to the Theatre (3) or THR 106 Acting I (3)
- THR 215 Approaching Design (3)
- THR 216 Scenic Production (2)
- THR 220 Costume Production (2)
- THR 224 Lighting Production (2)
- THR 308 Script Analysis (3)
- THR 508 Fundamentals of Directing (3)
- THR 520 History of Period Style I (3)
- THR 521 History of Period Style II (3)
- THR 525 History of Theatre I (3)
- THR 526 History of Theatre II (3)
Theatre Design Concentration. (33 hours)
- THR 116 Scenographic Techniques (3)
- THR 316 Beginning Scene Design (3)
- THR 320 Beginning Costume Design (3)
- THR 324 Beginning Lighting Design (3)
- Theatre design electives from an approved list (9)
- History of art (HA 150 and HA 151) (6)
- History of art or architecture electives (6)
College Courses. (30 hours)
- ENGL 101, ENGL 102, and ENGL 203, ENGL 209, ENGL 210, ENGL 211, or ENGL 360 (9)
- Humanities courses (6)
- Social sciences courses (6)
- Natural sciences or mathematics courses (6)
- 1 additional course chosen from humanities, social sciences, or natural sciences (3)
- Additional credit hours of general electives are needed to meet the minimum total hours required for graduation.
Major Hours & Major GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and grade-point average minimum standards:
Satisfied by 33 hours of major courses.
Major Hours in Residence
Satisfied by a minimum of 15 hours of KU resident credit in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Hours
Satisfied by a minimum of 12 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the major.
Major Junior/Senior Graduation GPA
Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 KU GPA in junior/senior courses (300+) in the major. GPA calculations include all junior/senior courses in the field of study including F’s and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.